Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Kansas girl....transplanted

Wow. I never realized how much I love the country. Until I've lived in the city in a huge building with nothing but brick and concrete and carpets and tile.

It hit me tonight in several ways.

As I walked from my stairway to a door leading into another part of the dorms, I caught a glimpse of the full moon, with clouds swirling around it. It grabbed my stomach and I stood there staring at it for a minute. Wow. Gorgeous. How did I never notice how beautiful it was before?

It hit me earlier, too.

I was at a potluck dinner with the chapel I'm going to here in Dubuque, Arbor Oaks, and as we walked through the line and little kids were running around, and elderly people standing chatting, and I realized how much I missed being in a circle of people from different generations. Honestly...it's really weird to be with tons of people your own age/peer group, with only a few faculty around.

Then I saw it - stuffing covered squash casserole, just like Mom makes! It was amazing! I savored every bite of it.

The potluck was wonderful. I'm going to love being part of this body of believers. More than that, I'm going to NEED it. Desperately. They are lovely people. We played games, and Mr. Ken Fleming was my partner for the water balloon toss. I drenched his leg. :bites lip: :P He laughed a lot. He and his wife are really charming. I want to be like them when I've been married for 57 years, too.

Really, I'm liking it here. The homework is good. And so are the classes. I wouldn't trade it, because I know the Lord has me here. And I've made some really wonderful friends. But I miss Kansas. Everyone keeps telling me "Oh, you won't be able to stay for just two years!" (as if they can predict my future :rolls eyes:) Right. I think, when two years are up, I'll be quite ready to hit the road into rural society again. :D

1 comment:

Karin S said...

Yes... the country is ever so much better. :D