Monday, September 10, 2007

Of baby princesses and valiant rescuers

Last Friday I gleefully packed up and left Emmaus to visit the Allen family in Oskaloosa. Heather and Naomi were visiting for the week and I got to spend the whole weekend there with them and Mr. and Mrs. Allen and Nathan. (for those reading this who don't know who I'm talking about - Heather is my uncle Danny's wife from Wichita, Naomi is their little girl, and the Allens are Heather's parents, Nathan is Heather's brother)Anyway, it was a great weekend relaxing, studying, talking, and just being involved in family life again. Can you believe I actually got a ton of studying done? That may have had something to do with the fact that Nathan was studying for a pharmacology test, so we sort of spent most of Saturday studying out on the deck - he on pharmaseudical drugs and me on Biblical discipleship and linguistics, while Heather studied her Bible and Nomi played.



Saturday evening we went on a picnic. Isn't Nomi adorable? I loved spending time with her. She's getting so much more cuddly and people-loving. We spent some time Saturday morning walking around outside, discussing flowers, tomatoes, leaves, and pine cones and their Maker. Being with the little girlie makes me want kids of my own. :)

Well, that's my baby princess. As for the rescuers, I left Oskaloosa at 3:00 Sunday afternoon, fully intending to be back by 6:00 in the evening. Well, exactly half-way between Oskaloosa and Dubuque, my battery decided to konk out on me. There I was, an hour and a half from anyone I knew, on the side of an extremely busy highway, an emotional wreck, with a dead car. After a long series of phone calls and discussion, Mr. Allen and Nathan came to my rescue, bringing me a battery. It was a long evening. But they were so kind to come help me. I made it to Emmaus right at curfew, midnight.

What a life. :) It was really hard yesterday, but the Lord gave me a song from the hymnal I always bring around in my glove compartment.

My God, my Father, while I stray
Far from my home, on life's rough way,
Oh teach me from my heart to say,
"Thy will be done!"

What tho' in lonely grief I sigh
For friends beloved, no longer nigh,
Submissive still, I would reply,
"Thy will be done!"

Renew my will from day to day:
Blend it with Thine; and take away
All now that makes it hard to say,
"Thy will be done!"

- Charlotte Elliott

He is faithful.

1 comment:

Karin S said...

I love those pictures of Naomi!