Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Grape Juice Covenant

Today at lunch I made an Old Testament covenant. :D See, in the OT, there was a thing called a blood covenant, which happened in Genesis 15 with Abram and God. The two parties were supposed to bring some animals and then they would make a little valley in between them, and they would split the animals/birds in half lengthwise down the middle and lay one half on each side of the valley. Then the blood would trickle down into the valley. Each party would walk through the valley in the blood, barefoot, as a symbol of the covenant, in essence saying, "If I break the covenant, this (what was done to the animals) is what should be done to me." That's what God did to Abram when He made Abram the covenantal promise with him in Genesis 15.

So, before you start worrying that I was splitting animals and getting blood all over the Emmaus cafeteria, hear me out. :) It was actually with grapes. And it was a truce between Geoff and I. He is always ribbing me about Kansas. I can't imagine why. And in return I always rib him about attending an "agriculture" school in the middle of Minneapolis for his high school years. Soooo...today we made a truce and Geoff split a grape in half and we put it on the sides of my tray and squeezed the grape juice out and dipped our fingers in it and sprinkled it on each other. So now he won't make fun of Kansas and I won't make fun of his *ahem* Ag school. :)

No comments: