Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sharing Truth

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who was praying for my ESL classes today. I got to share the gospel with both morning and evening classes. It went really well. I didn't particularly use my classroom as a platform for the gospel all summer, even though I could have been free to say/do as much as I wanted. I felt like I should use the time to teach my students English to the best of my ability and not try to use the time they paid for learning English to try to teach them spiritual things. However I asked the Lord for the chance to talk with them at some point about the gospel, and He gave me this idea. I ordered these gospel tracts:
May I Ask You a Question?

During the last 20-25 minutes of class this morning and evening, we read through the tracts together and talked about the vocabulary and concepts used in them. We had good discussions both times about sin and sin's penalty and what trust means. Three of the ladies in the evening class are believers, and it was lovely to go through the gospel with them because I knew they understood and they helped define things and were agreeing with me as I shared. Two of the ladies in the evening class are Chinese, and had never even seen or heard of a Bible before. That kind of rocked me. Wow. It was overwhelming to them to take in all the information about the gospel. Pray for them! The students who were from Peru or Mexico or Thailand just accepted the information, somewhat interestedly, and I could see it making sense to them at some points.

The church also orders Jesus films and booklets called Ultimate Questions in the students' languages to give to them. Thursday is our last class. We'll work for an hour and then have a potluck party and hand out certificates and the gifts. Wow, one more day of teaching. It's so hard to believe. I have a lot to reflect on and sort through. I'm so thankful that God gave me this opportunity. Thanks again, so much, for praying!

1 comment:

Mikala Borti said...

Es muy bueno que haya gente que aun cree en dios y se dedica a hablar de él. Te felicito.