Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blessings

In my morning ESL classes I have four ladies who love to laugh. This morning we were all extremely tired for one reason or another, but we still had a good time because we laughed a lot. We were working on past continuous tense, which was in our book, and it was a lot for them to take in at their level, so we did it very slowly. In an hour we covered the basics of it. But the rest of the time we worked on extremely practical things. They were confusing prepositions a lot (it's a common error with Spanish speakers), so we worked on what they meant.
I walked TO the park.
We played AT the park.
There is a swingset IN the park.
My boy was ON the swing.
He got OFF OF the swing.

They loved that, because they take their kids to the park. They also learned the new vocabulary word "swingset." :)
We were talking about our families, then, and our ages, and whether or not I had a boyfriend, and we spent a lot of time laughing, which was lovely.

Then, today, I was blessed with a foot-tall stack of English textbooks from Valery and Arnaud, our Belgian foreign exchange students. They are leaving for Belgium Saturday, and don't want to bring their textbooks with them, so they generously gave them to me. There are about 15 of them, and some that were even on my list of books to get for future reference! Probably about $600 worth of textbooks here! Praise God!

Another blessing was that one of my students, who is from Thailand, who is in my classes, and I also tutor her, asked me if I would play ping pong with her. She goes to a church gym close by here where there are tables set up. So I spent an hour playing table tennis with her. Such fun. :) Her English is very low intermediate, so it's hard to converse (our tutoring times are a challenge), but we laughed a lot and she taught me some things about ping pong. Watch out, family, I might beat you all on Christmas Eve in our annual tournament. I'm going to get pretty good at this. :)

2 comments:

Danny R said...

Books! Great! You will be faced with big challenge of Pong!

Susannah said...

Hey Liz!
I just thought I'd drop you a note saying I love you.