Monday, July 12, 2010

Reactive Airway Disease, aka Asthma

So, I've been unofficially diagnosed with asthma by about 4 different doctors in the past two years, and this fall I'm going to do something about it. It's not fun to cough for hours after rigorously exercising, or be sick for months because you're just not clearing up, or to experience pain and tightness in your chest and throat when you exercise outside for any length of time. You know it's a bad sign when you're halfway through an easy-ish walk with 15 lbs of books on your back and you gasp, "Ugh, I hate breathing!" I was laughing at myself after I said that, but it's true. I tend to despise breathing when I exercise. Then, I was looking up breathing exercises online for asthma and I saw this article that began by saying,

"In the normal breathing pattern the diaphragm moves downward when the person inhales and moves upward when the person exhales. An asthma patient breathes in an unnatural way by using only the upper portion of the chest. This is very unnatural for the system as the full chest is not used in this way."

Oops. I thought that was the normal way to breathe. I never use my stomach or diaphragm to breathe, only when I remember to do it. A lot of times when I exercise, I actually forget to breathe at all, and find I've been taking super shallow breaths with my mouth, not even using my nose.

So this is the most random blog entry in the world, possibly, but I was just thinking about it this evening. Mostly why I'm posting this is because I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone who treats asthma naturally and/or has any good breathing exercises to do to help develop in that area. I'm not a big fan of pumping my body full of steroids to "control" my asthma, especially since it's mostly exercise-induced and doesn't bother me regularly (unless I'm sick). I particularly could use a nutritionist in the Dubuque, Iowa, area. Ideas, anyone?

In other news...lol...I'm doing really well in Colorado. God is blessing me so richly with His grace and goodness. Only two more weeks of working and teaching! Wow. :) Thanks for praying! I'll write more soon.

3 comments:

Rachel F. said...

I've had asthma since I was ten. I've been off steroids and all asthma meds (singulair, advair, etc), except for my rescue inhaler for 4 years now. Deep breathing exercises really help, try power yoga or running. It forces you to focus your breathing in patterns and ensures you draw from your diaphragm. Also, singing. If you're singing correctly, you're breathing correctly.

glad you're doing well,
rachel f.

Linda/Dale said...

Hey Ms Elizabeth, There was a lady that came into the shop over a year ago. Her son had been diagnosed with asthma. Someone told her Mom that they should try elderberry juice concentrate. She bought a small bottle to try it out. She has been back in the shop to buy the large bottles several times. She said that it worked for her son and she was so excited. She said that she gives him a tsp once a day. Adults would take a TBSP... perhaps more to start out with if you have a serious problem.
Love Ya and I am praying for you!
Mrs. Linda

Susannah Joy said...

I looooooove you!!!!