Tuesday, June 8, 2010

People are people all over the world.

It's true. Cultures are beautiful. God fashions people with incredible diversity. One has pure black hair and almond-colored skin and by nature is reserved and gentle, another has rich black skin who wears colorful skirts and headscarves and speaks her mind boldly, another freckle-covered skin and dusty brown hair who laughs all the time and loves being around people.

Some people struggle with racism. I think that I have the opposite problem: idolizing people of different ethnicities and criticizing my own culture. But a week and a half into ESL teaching has taught me something. All people have problems. Everyone, of every culture, has a sin nature, and it takes patience to live with all people, no matter where they are from, even if their group-minded, collectivistic culture seems more appealing than my own rugged individualistic culture.

Also, the worldview behind a culture really, truly does affect how people see each other and how they interact. When you see things through a whole different lens, you have to really cooperate to be able to work together, especially if you are learning a third language and culture. I'm not sure that before this summer I would have understood the implications of having a student from Asia and students from Latin America in the same classroom, being taught by an American woman. It's funny, really...sometimes I feel like I'm on display: Here is the example of what an American is like - follow her. I realize that the Asian doesn't want anyone but me telling them what to do. And the Latin American is used to people complying and giving in to each other to keep each other happy. And I see pride written on the Asian's face and irritation on the Hispanic's, and feel discouragement and frustration welling up in my own heart, and then I realize, we're ALL just people who need God's grace.

God, who in His grace is the one who restores, confirms, strengthens, and establishes (1 Pet. 5:10). I love to teach, to help people. But really, only when it's easy. And it's not easy...I think that I forgot that it could be pretty hard. Realistically, helping people IS hard. That's life. You learn to stick with things through thick and thin and give it your all and trust God to be the one who is actually strengthening and enabling you.

I would appreciate prayer for the relationships in my classes, and for wisdom for myself as I try to teach a multi-leveled class in the mornings (ranging from an almost advanced student to one who almost never understands the instructions I give them in class, and all levels in between). So far, I've had three morning classes and have been discouraged all three times after class. But the Lord always gives me grace and cheers me up afterward. I know that it is His class, not mine, so I'm just doing my best...all that He asks of me.

2 comments:

Ms Linda said...

Oh Ms Elizabeth, what you wrote about how we all have a sin nature... no matter what culture you are from.. is so true. I also want to tell you that I think I was discouraged... and overwhelmed almost every day my first year of teaching. The kids had to take those dreaded achievement test at the end of the year and I was sure they would be going backwards on their scores. The Lord was gracious and they all improved. We are so hard on ourselves. I am sure your students appreciate your work.

Joanne Bischof said...

I don't know much about teaching, but I do believe that God chooses the place and time for our lives and it looks like your doing what He's called you to do!