Saturday, May 15, 2010

Real Love

"Let love be genuine." Romans 12:9

This phrase has been on my mind for the past couple of months. What does it really mean to love with genuine love? Paul wrote that he could be the best speaker, the most faith-filled mountain-mover, and the most giving servant, but still not have love. That threw me when I realized what he was saying. Sometimes it's easy to look like the best Christian person around. Mostly because it's not really a sacrifice to give up or do certain things so that you have a good image.

That's because love is sacrifice. Genuine love means giving up legitimate rights in order to put others before yourself. Sometimes it's easy to give up those rights because you really like the person you're trying to love and want them to be happy. Just because it is easier to love those people doesn't mean that your love isn't genuine - it really can be. Sometimes, though, it's hard to like people because of their weaknesses, or the way their personality clashes with yours, or because they have hurt you. That's when showing genuine love is hard.

"Let us each please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, 'The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.'" Rom. 15:2-3

Learning to love with genuine love is part of the process of becoming like Jesus. I can't barter my way out of this one. Saying "I love you," isn't enough. I need to lay myself aside and really sacrifice for others. That includes holding my tongue, giving people space, digging in and helping out with the most menial jobs, praising people and listening to people, choosing not to do certain things because they frustrate the people I'm around, etc. And even when it's hard, God's grace is enough.

2 comments:

The Hobens said...

Thanks for sharing this Lizzie, it was good for me to read it! Kylie cannnot wait to take the 1st loop off her chain...she keeps asking when it will happen and she even tried to trick me into thinking that we've missed a Sunday-haha! It's quite possible that my kids will ask if they can get another chain even when you come back. You'll have to make them a weekly one, from Sunday to Sunday/days until we see Liz again! Just kidding!!! Love you!

Anne/Ana/Anita/AnĂ­ said...

That's true. My "love" isn't always, or even often, genuine. But I'm glad that the Lord's love always is!