Thursday, June 19, 2008

Even the little things

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation...

Oh dear. This verse hit me out of the blue sometime over the past year at school. For some reason, even though I knew the Bible said "Do everything without complaining..." I never attached all that much import to it. Until, that is, I realized that it said "that you may be blameless and pure." You mean, Lord, that complaining keeps me from being pure? Oh. That's why I'm not supposed to do it.

I can't complain...ever...and stay blameless?
Not even when my teacher keeps going back to the origin of bacteria...4.6 billion years ago?
Not even when he makes a crude joke about the reproduction of viruses?
Not even when my head aches in lab and I have to sit four feet away from a creepy looking human body model?
Not even when I can't think of a subject for my persuasive speech for the life of me?
Not even when my family irritates me? Or doesn't appreciate me? Or doesn't understand me?
Not even when I'd rather be at camp?
Not ever?

No...I guess not.

Instead:
I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Oh, ok, I've got it! I get to praise you instead of complaining. I can praise you...
When you give me ten minutes before class to sit outside at school and read my Bible because we got there early.
When two of my big speeches are over and went really well.
When you give me ideas for my persuasive speech.
When I get to spend the day with a good friend at KBC.
When my little sister comes down to my room randomly to say hello.
When the puffy white clouds rest against the light blue sky and the golden wheat waves against that backdrop.
When there are ice cream cones after supper.
When a friend emails me out of the blue.

Yeah...and not only then...but also when things happen that aren't so pleasant. I can praise you in my microbiology class, too. :)

No comments: