Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Daddy

Daddy, I’m scared.
It’s ok, honey. It was just a bad dream.
No, Daddy, it was real. There were big bad guys. They were gonna get me.
Well, Daddy’s here now. It will be ok.
Can you stay here with me, Daddy?
Sure, sweetie. Daddy’s here. Let’s just tuck these covers up...there.
Daddy, I don’t want those men to get me.
Don’t worry. Daddy will keep you safe.
Do big men ever try to get you, Daddy?
Sometimes, but they’re not like the ones in your dream.
What are they like?
They’re kind of sneaky. They’re called problems. They come in all shapes and sizes. They tell me stories that aren’t true about my life and about God.
Do they scare you, Daddy?
Sometimes.
Who chases them away for you?
My Daddy.
Who’s your daddy, silly Daddy?
He’s big and strong. And He’s your Daddy, too.
Who, Daddy?
Well, He lives up in heaven, but He’s right here with us, too...
It’s God! Will I have problems like you when I’m big, Daddy?
I’m afraid so, sweetie.
Why?
That’s just what life is like, hon.
Will you keep me safe?
If this daddy can’t, your other Daddy will.
Why?
Because He loves you. And He’s even bigger and stronger than me. He takes care of His little girls.
Always, Daddy?
Always.
I’m glad I have two Daddys.
Me too, hon. Goodnight.
‘Night, Daddy.

No comments: