Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another Trip to Chicago

Last weekend, Mr. Sanchez, my Bible Geography teacher, took our class on a trip to Chicago. We went to the Oriental Institute and he was our tour guide through the museum. It was really fascinating. (I could listen to Mr. Sanchez all day!) It's really something, though, to see real pottery and seals and idols from Abraham's and David's and Esther's days...it really made history seem more real. My favorite was seeing the giant figureheads from Persia right at the time of Esther, and seeing the jewelry and perfume bottles and pottery and thinking, "Esther could have used these very things!" Wow. So cool.

After the museum, we ate sack lunches, then some of us went to other museums and some of us roamed around Chicago. It was cold and rainy, but we still had fun. I spent the afternoon with a small group of friends in stores like Hersheys, Ghiredellis (anywhere we could get free chocolate... :), Water Front Mall, the American Girl store, etc. In the mall, we went into a small jewelry store, started talking to this black lady named Chiffon. I thought, "Maybe we can share the gospel with her..." and it turned out she was a believer! She and her husband have a church and Bible studies in their home! That was really cool and encouraging. Eventually, our group found a cozy coffee shop and spent an hour and a half doing homework. I went outside and stood alone along the bridge, praying and drinking in the city...I love it there. So many beautiful people. I love the skyscrapers - they testify so greatly to man's brilliance and intelligence, and I get so excited about the Lord's glory as the Creator!

Here are pictures from the day.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23036&l=ce90a&id=503933962
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23038&l=6162b&id=503933962

I still have no clue as to how the scripting works for links on this blog...can't get it to work...so you'll have to copy and paste the links I guess...sorry!

No comments: